How to Apply for Financial Aid
Schedule a phone appointment with Financial Aid advisors.SCHEDULE NOW
Follow our step-by-step directions to apply for financial aid. If you get stuck, our advisors are here to help you. We suggest you read all of these steps before you begin your application.
Steps to Your Financial Aid Success
To start the federal student aid process, you’ll need an FSA ID. Go to studentaid.gov and create an account. If you’re a dependent student, both you and a parent or guardian will need to create an account. You’ll need that ID to finish and submit your application.
Once you have an FSA ID, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The school code for DCC is 002864. If you’re applying for the fall semester, submit your FAFSA any time after October 1 before the fall semester you intend to enroll.
You’ll receive confirmation of your FAFSA application and your Student Aid Report electronically. Please review this confirmation and keep for your records.
If you’re a New York State resident, you may be eligible for state financial aid. Here’s how to apply.
If You’re Enrolling as a Full-time Student
You’ll be sent to the online Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application at the end of the FAFSA. Complete the application. You’ll need to list at least one school in New York State. The TAP code for DCC is 2053.
If you didn’t complete a TAP application as part of your online FAFSA, wait until you receive your FAFSA acknowledgment. Then apply for TAP directly. Use 2053 as the TAP code for DCC.
If You’re Enrolling as a Part-time Student
Apply for Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS). Deadlines are the Friday of the first full week of October and March each year. See the application form for specific dates.
The APTS application form changes each year. Go to Links to Financial Aid forms for the year you’re applying for and find this application under “Miscellaneous Forms.”
Wait list: Once our initial allotment of APTS funds have been given away, any student who is eligible for APTS will be put on a wait list. APTS funds can become available due to students withdrawing from courses or because of academic ineligibility.
We’ll review the wait list beginning the fourth week of the semester and weekly thereafter until the deadline date or when all funds are given away. Being on the wait list does not guarantee that you’ll get APTS funding.
Using the Banner ID we assigned you, log in to your self-service Banner account and:
- View award amounts and accept your financial aid.
- Check for any additional requirements you must complete before receiving financial aid.
Please remember: You must reapply for financial aid each academic year. To do so, start with the FAFSA application (Step 2 above). Please make sure any documents sent to Student Financial Services include your name and Student ID number (starts with an A) on each page.
¿Necesitas Ayuda en Español?
How to Apply for Financial Aid, and Other Helpful Videos
Apply for the New York State TAP Grant
Financial Aid Timeline
The financial aid process takes time. Follow this timeline so you’ll know what to expect when.
- October 1: Financial aid applications, including the FAFSA, become available. Complete yours now for the following fall semester.
- December: The results of FAFSAs for the following year are available; use that info to plan ahead.
- April: Processing begins for the following academic year. You will be notified of your awards or any missing documentation.
- May – August: Processing continues. You will be notified every 21 days regarding missing documentation and any additional requirements.
- July 1 and after: You may be required to submit your residency documentation.
- Late July: First due date for fall tuition.
- Mid-August: Electronic vouchers to purchase books from the DCC Bookstore will be sent the week before classes begin.
- October and March: If there is any financial aid money left after your tuition and fees are paid, you will receive a direct refund of those dollars; use that refund for books, transportation and other expenses you have that semester.
Student Financial Services
Mon. - Thurs. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Phone: (845) 431-8060
53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601