Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Transfer to DCC

No matter where you started your education, we’re glad you’re here. Our experts work with you at every step to ensure a smooth transition to DCC. When you arrive, you’ll find a welcoming community and resources and support services designed to support your educational goals.


How to Get Started

Transferring to DCC is easy with the help of our experienced admissions staff. Our checklist outlines the steps needed to begin your chapter at DCC. The process starts with completing an online admissions application. Admissions counselors are available to guide you along the way.


Types of Advanced Credits

A degree-seeking transfer student may earn up to 40 credit hours for classes completed outside DCC or from non-traditional educational experiences. 

Credits earned at other colleges or universities are welcome at DCC. Classes are evaluated based on current DCC curriculum requirements. You’ll receive credit for classes that meet the academic requirement for your degree curriculum. Generally, credits are only awarded for classes where you have received a grade C or higher. Grades of P (passing) are also accepted.  

 If you’ve received a bachelor’s or master’s degree, we will make every effort to award advanced standing credit for general education courses required for your DCC degree.  

You may also earn advance credits for certain basic courses related to your degree through aptitude, prior education or experience. You can demonstrate your proficiency through testing, including:   

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Program 
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) 
  • Dantes Subject Standardized Tests 
  • Excelsior College Examination Program 

 To qualify, test results should be mailed directly by the sponsoring agency to the Office of the Registrar. Talk to an admissions counselor for details about testing for credit.   

We know that not all learning takes place in a classroom. That’s why DCC grants credit for non-traditional educational experiences, including workplace and military service. Experiences must be approved by the American Council on Education and applicable to your degree program. An admissions counselor can provide details.

SUNY Transfer Appeal Process 

If you don’t agree with DCC’s decision regarding placement or credit that you earned at another SUNY institution, you have the right to submit an appeal to a DCC campus transfer representative. 

How to File an Appeal  

While the appeals process may vary slightly by campus, the first step is to meet with a DCC campus transfer representative. They will explain the process and let you know exactly what materials are needed to file an appeal. You will be asked to provide reasonable documentation to support your case, such as the course description or syllabus for the class you are appealing. Once you’ve provided all requested information, you will receive a written response within 15 business days.  

If Your Appeal is Granted  

If our representative finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, they will notify you, the chairperson and/or program coordinator, and will make the change in your student record. 

If Your Appeal is Denied  

If our decision is unchanged or you have not received a response from the transfer representative within 15 business days, you may take your appeal to the SUNY System Provost by submitting the Student Transfer Appeal Form along with requested materials. The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application.  

Contact the Office of the Registrar at (845) 431-8020 for more information regarding incoming transfer credit. 

Contact Us

Office of Admissions

101 Orcutt Student Services Center
Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Phone: (845) 431-8010

53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601