Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

24-Credit HS Equivalency

adult students in classroom

Guidelines for Earning a High School Equivalency diploma on the Basis of Earned College Credit

A New York State High School Equivalency diploma will be issued to a student who satisfactorily completes 24 applicable credits toward a degree or certificate. The credits must include the following:

  • Six credits in English;
  • Three credits in Mathematics;
  • Three credits in Natural Science;
  • Three credits in Social Science;
  • Three credits in Humanities; and
  • Six credits in college degree program requirements.

The following procedures must be followed by any student wishing to receive a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma through study at Dutchess Community College.

  1. The student should apply to the school as a Part-Time Non-Degree Study student through our application page.

  2. The student must take any necessary placement tests offered through the Testing Center. For more information, visit our Placement Testing Page. If you are unsure of which test(s) are needed, please see the Assistant Registrar in the Registrar’s Office (SSC-201).

  3. The student must complete 24 credits as specified above as a non-matriculated student with a C average (2.0) or better applicable to his/her curriculum in order to satisfy High School Equivalency requirements. Non-credit bearing courses such as ENG 091 will not count toward this requirement.

  4. Once the courses are complete, the student MUST complete an application through the secretary to the registrar in the Registrar’s Office and pay the fee required by the State Education Department. This form, after it is signed by the registrar, is forwarded to the State Education Department, along with an official copy of the student’s transcript, for the issuance of a New York State High School Equivalency diploma. The student may expect to receive the High School Equivalency diploma by mail.

Is financial aid available? Students enrolled in this program may be eligible for financial aid through the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) program. Because the High School Equivalency/Earned College Credit program can be completed only part time, federal financial aid is not available. 

Students wishing to explore non-credit options through our Office of Continuing Education and Workforce Development can call (845) 790-3590 or click here for more information.

Additional HSE Information

  • See info from the New York State Education Department regarding the program.
  • See the list of class choices.
  • Upon completion of your classes, follow the instructions and complete the state application.

Also check out our credit-free HSE program.