Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Residency Requirements

Wondering why your tuition bill shows a “non-resident” charge? Here’s how to get that charge removed.

Upload your residency documents, certificates and other requested documents.


The Basics of “Residency”

We charge everyone non-resident tuition initially. If you are eligible and provide proper proof of residency we can remove that charge. You could qualify for resident rates if you maintained a permanent residence:

  • In New York State for one year; AND
  • In your county for six months immediately preceding the first day of the semester.

Proof of residency must be submitted periodically.

Learn More About Residency

Prove Your Residency Status

You’re eligible for in-state tuition rates if you reside in Dutchess County, New York, and you are:

  • A U.S. citizen; OR 
  • A U.S. permanent resident (meaning they have a permanent resident card, commonly known as a “green card”); OR 
  • An otherwise eligible individual who can provide appropriate proof. 

To verify you live in Dutchess County, we’ll need proof of your residential street address. 

  • Post office box addresses are not acceptable; AND 
  • Proof must be legible. 

Residency certificates are typically valid for one academic year. All documentation is subject to review. For a list of acceptable documents please click here..


If you live in another New York county, you’ll need to submit a Certificate of Residence.  

By state law, this certificate cannot be dated more than 60 days before the start of the semester or 30 days after the start of the semester. Certificates are typically valid for one year but vary by county. 

  • Step 1: Visit the website of your home county’s Treasurer’s Office or Chief Fiscal Officer for information on how to apply, including applications and lists of acceptable forms of proof. Click here for more detailed county information. 
  • Step 2: Once accepted, your home county will issue your certificate. This document must be submitted to the DCC Student Financial Services Office by the legal deadline. 
  • Step 3: When you have your Certificate of Residency, you can submit it online. 

Even if you haven’t resided in New York State for one year, you might qualify for resident tuition rates if:

  • You attended a New York State (NYS) high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a SUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; OR
  • You attended an approved New York State program for the High School Equivalency, received a HSE from New York State, and applied to attend a SUNY institution within five years of receiving the New York State HSE.

Here’s how to request a change to non-resident charges:

  • Submit your application for the appropriate semester with your official final high school transcript or high school equivalency showing you meet one of the criteria above.
  • On your residency application, select the category “Other” in addition to any other category that applies to them (e.g., visa holder, U.S. citizen, etc.) to start the review process.

If the Student Financial Services team determines that you meet the criteria as an out-of-status student who is also undocumented:

  • You’ll need to submit a notarized affidavit (a sworn, written statement with your signature) stating that you’ll apply to legalize your status as soon as you are eligible.
  • SFS will email you the affidavit if appropriate, and it must be returned by mail.

Questions? Contact the Student Financial Services team for answers about your eligibility and what documentation you need.

Out of respect for our nation's veterans, you won’t need to bear the cost of non-resident tuition charges while attending DCC.

In fact, some family members may qualify as well! To find out more, connect with Veterans Services.


Paying Your Tuition Bill Before the Non-Resident Charge Is Removed

If you’re a resident and you plan on proving your residency, or if you’ve already submitted your residency paperwork, you don’t need to wait for the non-resident charges to be removed to make a payment and protect your seat in your classes.

  • Subtract the non-resident tuition from your balance due.
  • Pay the remainder (the resident tuition rate) in full OR set up a payment plan.

Be sure to monitor your myDCC student email for notifications in case we need additional information.

Remember: If you can’t prove your residency by the legal deadline, you’ll be responsible for covering the non-resident charge.

Contact Us

Student Financial Services

Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Phone: (845) 431-8060

53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601