Residency Requirements

To prove your residence for any county in New York State, you must:

1. Have resided in New York State for one year,


2. Resided in your home county for six months prior to the first day of classes.

Please follow the instructions below for your home county. Once we receive the appropriate document the non–resident tuition charge will be removed from your account. You MAY NOT receive another bill. Make payment by subtracting the non-resident tuition amount from your balance due.


Complete the Affirmation of Dutchess County Residence.
Include this with your adjusted payment (subtract non-resident tuition amount from balance due or call Student Financial Services at (845) 431-8060 for assistance.)


A student from a New York county other than Dutchess is required to submit a Certificate of Residence from their county of legal residence covering 6 months prior to their first day of classes.  To secure the required Certificate, follow the procedures below:

Call the Treasurer’s Office or Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county to inquire about acceptable forms of proof you will need to bring to prove your residency. Click here for more detailed county information.

Your home county will issue you a Certificate of Residence. The Certificate must be submitted to the DCC Student Financial Services Office by the tuition due date. This will entitle you to pay the resident tuition rate.

Please note per New York State Education Law, Certificates cannot be dated more than 60 days before the start of the semester and 30 days after the start of the semester. If you fail to obtain your certificate within this time frame, you will be responsible for paying the non-resident tuition.

Certificates are only good for one year from the date of issue.


Immigrants are grouped in categories depending on the type of visa presented at the port of entry. Immigrant Aliens must have an Alien Identification card (“green card”) and be able to establish NYS and county residency to be eligible for resident tuition rates. These students must follow the residency requirements listed above. Non-immigrants admitted to the United States in categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not eligible for resident tuition (for example, F1 Visa holders)

However, some undocumented aliens may be eligible for the resident tuition rate if any of the following applies:

  • attended a New York State high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a SUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; or

  • attended an approved New York State program for the High School Equivalency, received a HSE from New York State, and applied to attend a SUNY institution within five years of receiving the New York State HSE. 

Individuals qualifying are eligible for resident tuition, even if they have not resided in New York State for one year. Note: To get resident tuition, undocumented aliens must file an affidavit (a sworn, written statement signed by the applicant) stating that they will apply to legalize their status as soon as they are eligible. At DCC, the Student Financial Services office can provide you with samples of the affidavits.

For more information, please contact the College at the following:

Dutchess Community College
Student Financial Services
53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Phone: (845) 431-8060
Fax: (845) 431-8603



Bronx, Kings, Queens, Manhattan
& Richmond Counties
Office of the New York City Comptroller
1 Centre Street (Municipal Building)
Room 1329, Certificate of Residence Desk
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 669-2784

Columbia County
560 Warren St.,
2nd Entrance on 6th St.
Hudson, N.Y. 12534
Phone: (518) 828-0513

Nassau County, 240 Old Country Road
Mineola, N.Y. 11051  
Phone: (516) 571-2090

Orange County
Commissioner of Finance
265 Main St., Goshen, N.Y. 10924
Phone: (845) 291-2485

Putnam County
County Office Bldg.
40 Gleneida Ave.
Carmel, N.Y. 10512
Phone: (845) 808-1075 x 49330

Suffolk County
H. Lee Dennison Bldg.
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
P.O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, N.Y. 11788
Phone: (631) 853-5052

Sullivan County, Government Center
100 North Street
Monticello, N.Y. 12701
Phone: (845) 794-3000 ext. 3215

Ulster County
244 Fair Street
PO Box 1800
Kingston, N.Y. 12402-1800

Westchester County
Finance Department
148 Martine Ave., Room 728/cert
College Certificates of Residence
White Plains, N.Y. 10601   
Phone: (914) 995-5006