Withdrawal From College or Courses

Students who withdraw from either the College or a particular course must initiate such action in the ACT Center. Failure to attend class or providing informal notification to instructors will not be considered official notice of withdrawal. If a student never attends all courses and does not withdraw, the college will administratively withdraw them with full tuition liability.

Withdrawals initiated during the first three weeks of the semester (or its equivalent for shorter parts of term) result in deletion of the course(s) from the record. A student who officially withdraws from a course(s) between the 4th week and the end of the 11th week of the semester (or its equivalent for shorter parts of term) will receive a grade of “W”. If the student has not withdrawn by the end of the 11th week or its equivalent, the student will receive the grade that they earned in the course. Please refer to the Academic and/or the Credit Class Student Calendar for withdrawal deadlines.

Administrative Withdrawal /Withdrawal Appeal

If a student feels he or she has an extenuating circumstance which justifies an exception to the DCC withdrawal policy, he or she may appeal to the Withdrawal Appeal Committee. 

  • The appeal process is limited to enrolled courses taken within eighteen (18) months of the start of the current semester. 

  • All requests must be submitted in writing to the Withdrawal Appeal Committee and must include supporting documentation (please see the table below).

  • The Committee cannot change grades for completed courses.

  • Appeals are limited to all, not some, courses within a semester unless it can be documented that the issue is directly related to only the select course(s) being disputed. 

  • Appeals received without the proper supporting documentation (see below) will not be reviewed.

  • Appeals must be made by the student. Appeals made on behalf of a student will not be reviewed.

  • Appeals are limited to tuition and fee charges only. Residential students who leave housing before the end of the semester are not entitled to a refund through the Withdrawal Appeal process and are financially responsible for the entirety of their housing and dining bill, according to the housing contract.

  • Appeals are limited to one per student throughout the entirety of their time at DCC.

  • The Committee’s decisions are final and are not subject to further appeal.

Criteria for Appeals

Supporting Documentation

Death in the student’s immediate family (parent or caregiver, sibling, child, spouse/domestic partner)

Death Certificate or Obituary

Unforeseen medical incapacitation of the student or immediate family

Signed letter from the student’s medical professional on organizational letterhead verifying that:

•  The student was medically unable to complete their courses

•  Family medical circumstances were at a severity that the student’s presence was required away from school and precluded completion of the course

Involuntary call to Military Duty

Written orders regarding call to Military Duty

Enrollment at another school for the same term as the appeal

Proof of enrollment, transcript, schedule, or letter of enrollment from Registrar’s Office at that College

Advising error by a College employee (Includes failure to meet course pre-requisites)

Letters or emails providing proof that the student was misadvised or an employee created a processing error.

The Withdrawal Appeal Committee does NOT, under any circumstances, take phone calls or schedule appointments. All appeals MUST be submitted in writing. Please complete and submit application.


If you are a recipient of financial aid, you should discuss the implication of a Withdrawal Appeal with an Assistant Director in Student Financial Services so your decision will be based on a clear understanding of the consequences of withdrawing from courses. If a withdrawal appeal is approved, it may result in being required to return financial aid that has been disbursed to you prior to any change in your academic record. 

Rematriculation After Dismissal

Students who are academically dismissed lose their matriculated status. They may appeal the dismissal through the Office of the Dean of Student Services. If the appeal is successful, the student is rematriculated and may resume full-time or part-time matriculated study.

If the dismissal is upheld, the student must meet one of three conditions in order to rematriculate: 1) Participate in a student success workshop and work with an assigned advisor/counselor; 2) Register for part-time studies for the next semester on a non-matriculated basis. If the student receives grades of C or better in six credits or more, he/she may then return to full-time or part-time matriculated study in the following semester; or 3) Register on a non-matriculated basis or remain non-enrolled for two semesters. The student may then reapply for full-time study (or part-time matriculated study) without meeting special conditions.

Dismissed students who have met the conditions for rematriculation must apply for rematriculation. Application for rematriculation should be initiated in the Office of Admissions. In all cases, the conditions specified to be rematriculated must have been satisfied or be in the process of being met at the time of application.

Students who are dismissed from either full- or part-time status and lose their matriculation are not eligible for financial aid from either federal or New York state sources.

If a student’s dismissal is successfully appealed, her or his financial aid may still be in jeopardy due to a lack of satisfactory academic progress.