Workshops for Girls in grades 5-8
Saturday, March 5, 2016
8:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
(Snow date: Saturday, March 26)
|ATTENTION: There is a change in the schedule for the event in celebration of the 20th Anniversary. Please read the following information for all of the details.|
Allyn J. Washington Center for Science and Art
(Program begins in Drumlin Hall, North Cafeteria)
Dutchess Community College
53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie
This innovative Dutchess Community College program, now in its 20th year, introduces girls to opportunities in historically male-dominated fields. The program is open to girls in fifth through eighth grades; there is a non-refundable registration fee of $10 per participant. Online preregistration is required.
The program offers hands-on workshops in science, technology, engineering and math developed by DCC faculty and staff and is designed to engage young women and encourage them to explore career opportunities in those fields. Students can be actively involved in hands-on experiments, discovering the worlds of geometry, biology, chemistry, physics, and more.
Note: Girls should be dropped off between 8:15 and 8:45 a.m. They should go directly to the Drumlin Hall Cafeteria for check-in.
The program begins promptly at 8:45 a.m. Students then attend three different workshops of their choosing, followed by a reception to celebrate the event's 20th Anniversary including an inspirational talk on themes of women and careers in science and technology.
There are 22 different workshops in all. Students select their workshops during online registration.
Participating faculty come from the DCC Departments of Mathematics, Physical and Computer Sciences; History, Government and Economics; Engineering, Architecture and Computer Sciences; Allied Health and Biological Sciences; Performing, Visual Arts and Communications; CSTEP; the Ritz Library and Academic Services.
The program includes an optional workshop for parents.
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: “Admissions & Financial Aid - Panel Discussion”
The parent workshop is free and preregistration is not required.
Registration will open on January 25 and closes on February 25. Click on the links at left to view schedules and workshop descriptions, and to register. Space is limited; early registration is recommended. The non-refundable registration fee of $10 per participant is payable online by credit or debit card.
- If you don't feel that your daughter is ready to move from classroom to classroom within the building on her own, then you may want to consider waiting one more year before she attends. The event is designed for girls in fifth through eighth grade.
- Due to room capacities and fire regulations, adults will not be permitted to accompany students into the workshops.
- Event check-in is between 8:15 and 8:45 a.m. in Drumlin Hall cafeteria on the DCC main campus.
- If students are being dropped off, they must be picked up no later than 1:30 p.m. in the Drumlin Hall Cafeteria.
- A campus map can be found here.
- Parking is available in Lot D off Cottage Road.
For more information, contact Tony Zito at (845) 431-8545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.