Welcome to the online tutoring services at the Dutchess Community College Writing Center! Students have two options to choose from when they want to work online with one of the Center's professional tutors.
Option I: You can arrange to talk with a tutor about your paper using Google Drive real-time chat. Click here for directions on how to set up an appointment and send your paper to the tutor. Normally, you can expect to get an appointment within 24 hours within the five-day school week, though it might take longer if the Center is busy. If you do not have a Google account, click here to sign up for one. You will need it to use Google Drive real-time tutoring.
Option II: You can submit a paper electronically and have a tutor read and comment on it via e-mail, usually 24 hours or so within the five-day school week, though it might take longer if the Center is busy. Papers turned in after Friday noon will be received Monday morning. Students may submit work to the Net Tutor service over the weekend (see the link on the myDCC welcome page) if they wish.
You will submit with each paper a form providing general information, such as the assignment, instructor (optional), and specific questions or concerns regarding the paper.
- Papers are strictly confidential, and the tutor will not share any comments with an instructor without a student’s knowledge or consent. Providing the instructor’s name is simply to help the tutor, who might be familiar with a certain teacher’s assignment.
- Once the paper and form are submitted, you can expect a brief e-mail acknowledging receipt of the assignment, usually within a few hours.
- Please limit drafts to six pages.
- Please submit papers saved as Microsoft Word files or as .rtf or .txt files.
- Our online tutors aim to replicate, as much as possible, the experience of a face-to-face session in their e-mailed response. To understand what you can expect from the Online Tutor, please read our "Tutoring Services" page on this site.
***Students may request one e-mailed response per week (Option II); additional requests to the Online Tutor that week must be through a scheduled Google Drive appointment (Option I).
- Directions for online chat/paper review via Google Docs (Option I)
- Online Submission Form for E-mailed papers (Option II)
- ***Note you will be asked to enter your MYDCC name and password in order to complete the submission form.
- Copying and Pasting Papers
- Ask the Tutor
- Links to Writing Resources
Students do not need to have a specific assignment or paper to use this Online Tutor site. With the “Ask the Tutor” link, they can also e-mail general questions about writing, such as how to get started, or about grammar issues. No forms need to be submitted for the “Ask the Tutor” service. Please note that students can also go to the DCC Writing Center’s "Helpful Links" page for online writing resources, or come to the College Writing Center for handouts and on-site study of writing-related books and reference materials.