The Student Academic Success Center assists students of all ability levels by supporting and improving academic skills. Specific services include:
- Tutoring—provided at no cost to students for almost any course.
- Study Groups—created for targeted courses and groups of students.
- Computer-assisted instruction and individual assistance in writing, reading, mathematics, ESL and study skills.
- Academic Workshops—topics have included:
- Understanding College Culture – A “Must” for College Freshman – Recognize the differences between high school and college to successfully maneuver through your first semester and beyond.
- Overcoming Math Anxiety – Hear about strategies for enhancing your math confidence.
- Scholarship Application Process – Review where to find scholarships and how to best feature yourself in an application.
- Navigating MyDCC – Develop a better understanding of basic to intermediate level computer skills; including, Starfish, myDCC and Angel.
- Optimize Learning – How to Get the Best Grades Possible – Learn tips to plot your course toward a successful semester.
- Test Prep and Test-Taking Strategies – Learn strategies for success on preparing for and taking different types of exams.
- Financial Aid – Earn it and Keep It – Receive guidance on the financial aid application process and minimum academic requirements needed to keep aid.
- Resume Writing – Get tips on how best to present yourself when applying for a job or internship; the format, organization, layout and wording of a professional resume.
- PowerPoint vs. Prezi – How to Choose? – Both presentation formats will be featured and discussed with tips on how and when to use them.
- Succeed on Exams – Learn tips on studying smarter for final exams.
- Academic Enrichment Programs
- Book Club
- Real People Real World – Professional Networking Event
- Academic planning and advisement
At DCC South, students can also find these services through the Academic Support Coordinator in the Main Office.
The Student Academic Success Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m to 4:00 p.m. (Saturday hours are posted when available.) To receive assistance or further information, please contact the Office of Academic Services and Testing at (845) 431-8090.