Nursing Simulation Lab Assistant
Job description: To guide nursing students in the improvement of their assessment skills and support the enhancement of their psychomotor skills. The intent is to promote the development of nursing judgment. Using computerized mannequins and patient care scenarios, students are coached to make safe nursing decisions regarding patient care in an unthreatening learning environment. Applicant’s skills should include the ability to facilitate the student’s learning, promote critical thinking, encourage problem-solving abilities, and have a broad medical-surgical nursing knowledge base.
Reports to: Department Head of Nursing
Essential duties and tasks include the following: (others may be assigned)
- collaborates with faculty in the planning, preparation, and implementation of simulation exercises;
- continually evaluates current clinical literature in order to extract best-practices;
- prepares required materials and equipment for instructional purposes;
- video tapes simulations for debriefing;
- collects and analyzes data on simulation exercises;
- instructs students when practicing clinical skills in the laboratory or when instructors are not present during open lab hours; works with students who bring in remediation prescription for specific lab skills from clinical instructors;
- ensures that the lab is clean, safe, and organized;
- keeps statistics on laboratory usage outside of scheduled class time;
- maintains equipment and requests repairs as needed;
- keeps inventory of supplies;
- replaces supplies as needed in collaboration with the department head;
- promotes safe lab practices according to OSHA guidelines;
- follows guidelines in handling and disposing of hazardous materials;
- updates self to new techniques, procedures, and equipment.
Qualification: MS degree with a major in nursing and current med-surg experience. Strong psychomotor skills necessary. BS degree with a major in nursing and current med-surg experience may be considered. Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evening and weekend hours.
Licensure: Valid New York State Registered Nurse license.
DCC offers a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants for this position should submit a current résumé and a cover letter that clearly states how the candidate fulfills the required and preferred qualifications. Review of applications will begin in February and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit the following application materials: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Simulation Lab Assistant - Nursing in the subject line.
Alternative Submission Method: Mail/Fax
Office of Human Resources Management
Dutchess Community College
53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
Fax: (888) 617-1501
DCC is proud to be a two-time recipient of the Poughkeepsie Journal’s Richard K. Wager Workplace Diversity Award, and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).
The Dutchess Community College Visual Arts Program is currently hiring models for life drawing classes. Male and female, all shapes and sizes welcome. Experience not required, but must be 18 years or older. $17/hour. Flexible schedule a must, as class times can vary.
Inquiries M-F, PVAC Dept. (845) 431-8611