Assistant Dean of Administration (for Payroll)
Dutchess Community College, located in the scenic Hudson Valley town of Poughkeepsie, NY, is seeking an Assistant Dean of Administration for Payroll. This position is responsible for providing overall supervision and management of the functions in the Payroll Department. The Assistant Dean position is an exempt administrator level position that reports to the Associate Dean of Administration. He/she shall:
- Provide direct supervision of the office personnel in the Payroll Department and of all payroll functions including preparation of required data for the processing of payroll, verification of computer reports, salary deductions, both mandated and voluntary, W-2 and 1099 preparation, quarterly and annual Federal, State and Local tax reports, and other reports and actions affecting payment of personnel and payroll history of employees.
- Be responsible for quarterly, semi-annual and annual reporting of payroll data to the appropriate governmental agencies.
- Be responsible for proper payment of payroll related expenses for tax deferred annuities, taxes withheld, credit union, child support, garnishment, pension, TIAA/Cref, and all bi-weekly retirement payments.
- Develop, maintain, and supervise an internal accounting system for the payroll function to ensure accurate reporting of payroll information both internally and externally and to ensure accurate posting of payroll related information to the College’s operating budget.
- Develop, supervise and monitor a position control accounting system to ensure accurate accounting of personnel and payroll information in the College’s annual operating budget.
- Assist in the development and improvement of an integrated Human Resource/Payroll information system to ensure proper operation of the personnel and payroll functions.
- Work with the Financial Aid and Student Accounts Office to ensure accurate utilization and accounting of students employed under the College’s federal work-study program.
- Work with the College’s computer center to optimize the use of available computer applications to ensure up-to-date software and technologies are used in the processing of payroll and personnel information.
- Participate in departmental, divisional, and institutional assessment activities as required.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High degree of personal/professional integrity, respect for privacy and confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills including the ability to relate effectively with all levels of the College community and with diverse and multicultural populations.
- Excellent communication and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle difficult or urgent matters in a confident and proficient manner.
- Ability to foster and promote an integrated team approach and customer service orientation.
- Excellent written abilities. Must be able to independently compose letters, memos, reports and other written communication materials for a variety of audiences.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision and be able to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated technical literacy including database management skills and proficiency with various software programs, including but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- A minimum of 2 – 3 years in a business office in which duties have been performed in payroll, accounting, and human resource functions.
- Experience working with computer applications for payroll, human resources, and accounting operations.
- One year of supervising office staff personnel performing such duties required. 2 years preferred.
To apply, please submit the following application materials: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com . Please include Assistant Dean of Payroll in the subject line.
Alternative Submission Method: Mail/Fax
Office of Human Resources Management
Dutchess Community College
53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
Fax: (845) 431-8595
DCC is committed to the principle of diversity and encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).