PROFESSIONAL RN, CLINICAL EXPERT TUTOR
Job Description: The Registered Nurse (RN) tutor is a part time professional position. The RN tutor assists nursing students in the improvement of their assessment skills and supports the enhancement of their psychomotor skills. The intent is to promote the development of nursing judgment. Using computerized mannequins and patient care scenarios, the tutor coaches students to make safe nursing decisions regarding patient care in an unthreatening learning environment. Personalized instruction is available. Applicant’s skills should include the ability to facilitate the student’s learning, promote critical thinking, encourage problem-solving abilities, and have a broad medical-surgical nursing knowledge base. The candidate should possess the ability to use a variety of strategies to strengthen the student’s knowledge.
Reports to: Department Head of Nursing
Essential duties and tasks include the following: (others may be assigned)
- collaborates with nursing lab assistants in planning, preparing and implementing skill scenarios and simulations;
- prepares mannequins, equipment and supplies needed for practice sessions;
- clears lab after practice sessions;
- instructs and observes students when practicing;
- maintains the equipment and requests repairs when needed;
- keeps statistics on lab usage;
- readies required reports;
- promotes safe lab practices according to OSHA guidelines;
- follows guidelines in handling and disposing of hazardous materials.
Qualifications: MS degree with a major in nursing and current med-surg experience. Strong psychomotor skills necessary. BS degree with a major in nursing and current med-surg experience may be considered.
Licensure: Valid New York State Registered Nurse license.
Conditions of employment: This position is a temporary position that is awarded annually depending on grant funding.
To apply, please submit the following application materials: cover letter and resume to email@example.com . Please include RN tutors in the subject line.
Alternative Submission Method: Mail/Fax
Office of Human Resources Management
Dutchess Community College
53 Pendell Road
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601
Fax: (845) 431-8595
DCC is proud to be a two-time recipient of the Poughkeepsie Journal’s Richard K. Wager Workplace Diversity Award, and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).